World’s Largest Cargo Ship
Get a load of this ship!
* 15,000 containers
* 207′ beam
* Longer than a US Aircraft carrier
* Crew size has a complement of 5,000 men and officers
* Notice that 207′ beam means it was NOT designed for The Panama or Suez canal .. It is strictly transpacific.
* “Cruise speed” 31 knots means the goods arrive 4 days before the typical container ship (18-20 knots) on a China-to-California run. So this Behemoth is hugely competitive carrying perishable goods.
* This ship was built in three, perhaps as many as five sections. The Sections floated together and then welded.
* The ship is named Emma Maersk.
* The command bridge is higher than a 10 storey building and has 11 crane rigs that can operate simultaneously.
* Country of origin – Denmark
* Length – 1,302 ft
* Width – 207 ft
* Net cargo – 123,200 tons
* Engine – 14 in-line cylinders diesel engine (110,000 BHP) Cruise Speed – 31
* Knots, Cargo capacity – 15,000 TEU (1 TEU = 20 ft3 container)
* Crew – 13 people First Trip – Sept. 08, 2006
* Construction cost – US $145,000,000+
* Silicone painting applied to the ship bottom reduces water resistance and saves 317,000 gallons of diesel per year