Becoming a Non-Resident of Canada (Part 1)

Share it with your friends Like

Thanks! Share it with your friends!


This is part 1 of a 3-part series which explores non-residency in Canada. In this video, the potential impact of primary ties, secondary ties and form NR73 on your status are discussed.

0:25 – 1. How to Become a Non-Resident of Canada
1:25 – 2. Pros and Cons of Form NR73

Visit our website for more information and tax-related advice:

Follow us on social media

Download any of our free eBooks available on our website:
(Including Tax Tips for Canadians, Personal Tax Planning Guide for Canadians: 2014 Edition and 20 Tax Secrets for Canadians)

The information provided in this video is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. All figures and dollar amounts are used for example purposes only. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided in this video.

Perspectives by Incompetech

Created with GoAnimate


Kathleen Kuracina says:

Hi Allan,
I am a Canadian citizen who has been working abroad for the last four years. I have not filled out a NR73 form and plan to follow your tip and simply file a Departure Tax return (I believe I will qualify as a non resident given my only primary tie to Canada is my driver's licence). My question is, given I have already been working abroad for four years and plan to continue to do so for at least a couple more years, when is the best time to file the Departure Tax form? Should I be filling this every year before April 30th, or should I simply wait until I finally decide to return to Canada to reside?
Thank you for taking the time to respond,

Jeff Downs says:

Hi thanks for the video. I have a question about filing the departure tax return. Can I file it early like when I leave or do I have to wait until the following year. And where can I find the forms for this… couldn’t find much on CRA website. Thanks

Elie says:

Hello Allan Madan, i left Canada in June 2017 and have been working and living abroad since. I am a canadian born, hold a CA passport and hold a couple of CA bank accounts. I don't have any of the primary ties, but have many of the secondary ties. I have 2 questions: am i supposed to claim my foreign income tax for 2017 July – Dec? and What would my residency status be? The 4 options i get from TurboTax are (non-resident, deemed non-resident, deemed resident of canada 183+ days in canada, or deemed resident of canada for other reasons) and why? thanks

Paul Colley says:

HI Allan thanks for the info . I left Canada to work in the US 4 years ago under Nafta agreement, but kept filing my taxs both in Canada and US every year.. now live overseas and i want to switch to non resident status , i have only Driver license , health card, and my banking still in Canada. Should i file any form ? what do you suggest ?

farouqnimer says:

I have no ties to Canada whatsoever asides from a driver's licence and a chequing bank account with less than twenty dollars in it and which I have not even touched for the past 7 years. Would I be required to pay the government any tax?

Behindzscenes says:

Thanks Allan!
I was granted the immigrant PR Visa, but I did not do my first landing yet. My aim is to land in Canada for a couple of weeks and return to my current country of residency for a year or 2, before returning back to Canada permanently. Should I be paying taxes on my incomes within these 2 years when I am abroad ? Does the non-resident status applies on my straight from the beginning? Note that I won't be owning any properties nor have my family in Canada during these 2 years. Your response is appreciated 🙂

tvtaxcanada says:

Thank you Allan, I really appreciate a lot your information. Always clear and the new style of videos are very good quality!

Write a comment